About Me

North Easton, Mass., United States
These original news and feature stories were written by students in both introductory and advanced Newswriting and Reporting courses at Stonehill College taught by Prof. Maureen Boyle

Monday, May 3, 2010

Braving The Elements

By Dan Cermack

North Easton, Mass. --- Students at Stonehill College, nestled in the heart of New England, are accustomed to the occasional snow day.

However, after a weekend where temperatures bottomed out at five degrees below zero, several students said that new measures had to be taken to step outside.

"Going outside has become a process," said junior Kristen Labbe, of Portland, Maine, "I wear a very long coat with a hood, Ugg boots, a hat, gloves, and multiple layers of clothing, and when I'm inside I crank the heat."

"Cranking" the heat seems to be a popular strategy by many students. Senior Kate O'Leary of Ipswich, Mass., said she cranks her thermostat to "over 78 degrees" during these cold-spells.

"I'm originally from Florida so I'm not used to these temperatures. Blasting the heat and staying in bed seems like the smartest way to deal with it."

According to the U.S. National Weather Service, Friday had a reported high of 21 degrees and a low of 13. With an added wind chill making it feel closer to zero degrees, several students had to adjust their weekend plans.

"It was too cold to even go out," said senior Katie Cummings, of Chaminade, N.Y., "So I just wrapped up in my Snuggie and drank a lot of coffee. It was also too cold to smoke cigarettes so I just did it in my basement."

Another senior, Kait Mendall, of Gloucester, Mass., said she has another tactic for staying warm over the weekend: body heat.

"I literally got in bed with my roomate and spooned for half the day on Saturday," said Mendall, "It was awesome and hot."

Temperatures slightly rose as the weekend progressed with Sunday's reported temperatures climbing to a high of 28 and a low of 13.

Yet, as several students pointed out, these elements are to be expected in the middle of a New England winter.

"I've lived here all my life and am used to it," said senior Patrick Manchester, of nearby Stoughton, Mass. "How do you keep warm? Wear lots a layers and go outside as little as possible."

With the bulk of winter still to come, it seems the Stonehill community is taking all precautions necessary to brave the frigid weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment